Friday, April 23, 2010

A Certain Magic


My husband, whom I will affectionately refer to as "Slurpico" for the purposes of this blog, has a certain magic. Life is just way more interesting when he is present. Perhaps it's because he is crazy, and it is God's way of making it up to him. His ancestors are from central Italy. I am convinced he is a direct descendant of some insane gladiator; one who managed to not be eaten by tigers.

Despite his rugged exterior, in the first year of our marriage I noticed something odd. He reminds me of Mickey Mouse. I think it is the posture, body language, and his "can do" attitude. I am now enamored of all things Mickey. I have often wondered if childbirth was difficult for Slurpico's mother, given his large ears.

Slurpico is very athletic, so when I expressed a desire to resume my childhood passion for figure skating, he was very supportive. Lancaster has two terrific ice rinks, and I enjoy them both. The Lancaster Ice Rink has a figure skating club. They perform shows, which is wonderful for the kids there. In 2007, they put on their own "Disney on Ice." I happened to notice that they had NO MICKEY. I decided this just could not be! So I took the bull by the horns, or the mouse by the ears really, and rented a Mickey suit. I offered my services, and miracle of all miracles, I was scheduled to skate the part of Mickey.

The Mickey suit arrived from Philadelphia. I examined it, and satisfied everything was as it should be, I decided to enjoy a relaxing shower. While I was so indisposed, Slurpico came home and saw the suit. A few minutes later, I could hear him fire up his Harley Davidson outside. I probably don't need to tell you the outcome.
Our neighbor, who bears a strong resemblance to a "Far Side" character (think middle aged, bespectacled, pear shaped man), was standing in front of his house at the time. From what I understand, Slurpico chased him across his front lawn. He says it was difficult to shift with fuzzy, yellow feet, but he returned unscathed and a good time was had by all. Er...well...we had a good time. I cannot speak for our neighbor. And I DID skate the part of Mickey in the Lancaster Disney on Ice. It was a dream come true.

Johnny dreams of having his own spectacular ice show. When that happens, watch for my resume Johnny. I have animal suit experience.


















































































































































Add Image




























































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment